Sunday, December 06, 2009

SHORT ARMS - LONG LEGS PITCH




Back in the spring I put together this pitch for Nickelodeon's International Open Mics ...
"Open Mics give creators the chance to “show not tell” their idea for a breakout character. Creators are invited to produce and deliver a fully funded, 3min non-airing pilot featuring a break out, visually diverse and funny new character."...
I thought this would be the perfect time to pitch Short-Arms Long-Legs, who I thought up a few years ago, but sadly he was turned down. They just didn't think he was the kinda kid other kids would want to be like. I can understand where they were coming from, but for some reason I've always been drawn to characters like this. Characters with obvious flaws and short comings that they manage to work around in clever ways.

15 comments:

Chris Kennett said...

Too bad about the pitch. I really like the character and the poses are too cool.

Perhaps someone should make a cartoon channel for adults who ARE kids. That way we can all just appreciate the art and hard work and not get bogged down in whether or not we "relate" to the characters. Ah well.

Mirco said...

Dam thats too bad the pitch didn't get picked up, I've always wanted to see this in action. the poses are amazing he really comes to life on that page.

geiger said...

ya, i agree,
he is wonderful.
imagine what he'd look like riding a bike...the hilarity writes itself

Anne-Renée said...

That's too bad it didn't get picked up. You should still do a pilot or a short and take it around to festivals. Or put it up on the internet and when it gets web famous, you can sell merch. I just HAVE to see that guy's run cycle in action.

Wayne B. Medina said...

hey there scott! been a fan of your work for awhile now.

i really like this pitch. i myself who has a disorder (not like short arms heh) really can relate cuz of me trying to be positve. hope you do something with this man

mayhem said...

Killa poses!

Curtis said...

I miss you short arms longs legs...you make the days so much easier. I wish you were a cartoon show.

Ben said...

I believe the Nickelodeons of this world could stand to learn a li'l lesson or two from mister Short Arms Long Legs.

Jason Curtis said...

This is fantastic Scott. I personally find the character visually interesting and funny as heck. I think my favorite pose is the one where he's sitting down having a drink, I love the way his long legs are wrapped around the table.

Sorry about the pitch, all we can do it hope that this character has legs (see what I did there!) Ha!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R.Dress said...

I would've given you the budget to make the pilot. It looks and sounds great. Remember Nick turned down Sponge Bob about 5 times before they green lit it.

Matt Shepherd said...

he looks great, nice solid designs and presentation, clean solid drawings as usual.

where else did you pitch it? Maybe do webisodes? to kick start it?

Matt Shepherd said...

If you ever needed some animation I'd lend a helping pencil.

Brad said...

Very very funny design! i love his tiny arms!

kend said...

wow I wonder which kids out there wanted to be spongebobsquarepants?although I love that show....